Dubai Museum (Al Fahidi Fort)
Dubai Fort is situated in the south of Dubai Creek, at the Al Souk Al Kabir area which teems with vigorous trade and is close to the Ruler’s Court (the monarch’s divan). It was built back in 1787, about 200 years ago, as the premises of the monarch and a fort of defense, since it sat on the border of the urban Dubai at the time. Later on, this fort turned into an arsenal for artillery and weapons. It was also used as a prison for the outlaws.
This fort was renovated during the reign of the late Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum. It was opened in 1971 (the year the federation was formed), to be an official museum that displays the history of Dubai and its original heritage. In 1995, another underground museum was established and added to the old fort.
The visitors of Dubai Museum “Al Fahidi Fort” have an opportunity to get rich, full, and integral knowledge of the very old history of Dubai that interacted with different people and civilizations across history.